This fellowship is currently inactive. If you’re interested in information about this fellowship, contact us. Learn more about creating a fellowships for your network, foundation, or issue area here.
Cross-Movement Leading from the Inside Out Yearlong Fellowship
“Rockwood was deeply valuable in helping me do better work. Toby and Jose (our trainers) were top-notch; the curriculum was wide-ranging and high-quality; and I feel a level of trust with others in my cohort that I’m confident will unlock deeper collaboration across our organizations. I’m grateful to have been part of the Cross-Movement Yearlong.” Anna Galland, Executive Director, MoveOn.org
After two successful cohorts, Rockwood and eleven national movement-building organizations are launching a third“Leading from the Inside Out” Yearlong Fellowship for 24 senior leaders. This Cross-Movement Yearlong represents an innovative methodology that will allow for the opportunity to network, build relationships, and seed the potential for collaboration among the organizations, and across sectors in the field of social transformation.
The eleven participating organizations are :
- Center for Community Change (CCC)
- CHIRLA (Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles)
- Greenpeace USA
- Jobs With Justice
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Sierra Club
- United Automobile Workers
The Cross-Movement Yearlong is a great example of network in action: Senior leaders of the eleven participating organizations are graduates of Rockwood’s highly acclaimed National Leading from the Inside Out Yearlong . In order to build leadership deep within each organization and also across the different fields, each organization will be sending two-three senior staff to participate.
Rockwood would like to recognize the ongoing commitment to leadership development and collaboration exemplified by the previous cohort. As a result of their dedication to transformative leadership and partnership, we are able to build off their success and host a third Cross-Movement Yearlong.
We now extend a warm welcome to the 2015-2016 cohort. Please follow this link to read about these movement leaders.
The purpose of the Cross-Movement Yearlong is to:
- Provide significant individual professional learning and leadership development for 24 movement leaders
- Help develop a consistency of leadership culture among top staff for the participating partner organizations
- Build relationships of trust among key leaders in these eleven organizations, thereby enhancing possibilities for useful collaboration across social movements
The Cross-Movement Yearlong supports experienced leaders to:
- Create, communicate, and sustain a powerful vision
- Inspire, align, and manage individuals and groups towards effective partnership
- Ensure accountability and high performance
- Become more skillful at handling challenging interpersonal dynamics and difficult conversations
- Manage stress and burn-out
- Develop strategies for major organizational change
- Take advantage of the opportunities inherent in the diversity and complexity of an increasingly interdependent world
Program design includes:
- Three six-day intensive leadership retreats (November 2015, March 2016, June 2016)
- Daily practices to support and reinforce learning throughout the year
- Extensive workbooks for each retreat, filled with tools and processes to use within their own organizations
- Personalized assignments and practices to bridge learning between sessions
- Ongoing support in applying the concepts and tools of the training
- Expert and peer coaching
Cross-Movement Yearlong Fellows
Please check out the photos and bios of the current cohort of 2015-2016 Cross-Movement Yearlong Fellows.
Please click here for information on the previous cohorts:
2013-2014 Cross-Movement Yearlong Fellows
2012-2013 Cross-Movement Yearlong Fellows
Read more about what the 2012-2013 Fellows said about the Cross-Movement Yearlong:
“My participation in the Cross-Movement Yearlong was everything I wanted it to be and more. I was able to meet some of the greatest thinkers in the progressive movement and share ideas with groups we don’t ordinarily work with. I feel that the leadership skills, relationships and tools were extremely valuable and will change the way I approach my work in the future.” Molly Dorozenski, Media Director, Greenpeace USA
“Without question, Rockwood is the best leadership training experience I’ve had. It integrates personal development practices with smart organizational change work. The trainers kept us engaged through every session. I use what I learned there every day.” Peter Colavito, Director of Government Relations, Service Employees International Union
“Rockwood was an incredibly powerful learning and growth experience for me as a leader. The opportunity to build relationships with other leaders in the progressive movement was invaluable, and I learned many extremely helpful approaches and ideas to bring back to my organization.” Orli Cotel, Deputy Communications Director, Sierra Club