This month’s Couch Conversations with Planned Parenthood’s Dawn Laguens and Rockwood’s Darlene Nipper delved deep into motivation, movements, acts of resistance, and the power of Rockwood. Watch the video above for the full conversation, and mark your calendar for September 27 at 1 PM PT / 4 PM ET when Darlene will be joined by Transgender Law Center’s Kris Hayashi.
Alums in the News
- Andrew Gillum won the Democratic nomination for Governor of Florida.
- Rev. angel Kyodo williams presented keynotes on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at Netroots Nation.
- Stosh Cotler wrote “One year after Charlottesville: When white nationalism goes mainstream” for the Bend The Arc blog.
- Malkia Cyril was part of a panel on the line between free speech and hate speech presented by the Facebook Journalism Project, and was quoted in FastCompany and the Los Angeles Times.
- Brayan Pelayo Corona was interviewed by ProFellow about being part of Rockwood’s Returning Citizens Fellowship.
- Annette Wong was featured in the New York Times’ short documentary “Sanctuary City Hotline”.
- Cristina Jimenez was a guest on In The Thick of It.
- Stacy Kono wrote “We Will Defend Immigrant Families” on Medium.
- Alicia Garza wrote “Black Lives Matter Is Not A Terrorist Organization” for The Economist.
- Ai-Jen Poo wrote “To The Women Leading The Resistance In Red States & Small Towns: I See You” for Bustle.
- Cecilia Chung was quoted in an article about trans organizations and activists protesting against ICE in Albuquerque.
News & Inspiration
- “Philanthropy Will Not Save Us,” Rodney Foxworth & Justice Funders on Medium
- “The Best Leaders May Be Those Who ‘Give Up’,” Vu Le on Stanford Social Innovation Review
- “Bombed by the K.K.K. A Friend of Rosa Parks. At 90, This White Pastor Is Still Fighting,” The New York Times
- “How To Keep The Resistance Going In 2018, Even When You’re Impossibly Tired,” by adrienne maree brown on Mashable
- Various Locations: 350.org is seeking a US National Organizer.