“There are years that ask questions and years that answer.”
~ Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God
There’s a lot happening at Rockwood this year – and it’s barely even started!
Since we got back on January 2, we’ve welcomed the Chinese Progressive Association, Oakland Leaf Foundation, and SURGE Institute into our shared office space, started work on new programs and fellowships, and began hiring for a few positions (be sure to check the Jobs page & social media in the coming weeks for more).
So while it may be too early to tell, after the many questions last year left us with, 2018 feels like a year that will answer.
What questions from last year is 2018 answering for you?
Alum in the News
- Arisha Hatch, adrienne maree brown, and Linda Sarsour (alongside other Women’s March organizers) were all included in Bitch Magazine’s first-ever Bitch 50 list
- Alicia Garza and Annie Leonard were featured in Yes! Magazine’s “What We Want for 2018: The Biggest Movement Leaders Envision the Changes Ahead”
- Julia Bacha was interviewed for Doxx Magazine
- Ai-Jen Poo was included in the Washington Post op-ed piece, “The one best idea for ending sexual harassment”
- Malkia Cyril and several other media rights activists vowed to fight for Net Neutrality
- Rinku Sen wrote an open letter to Doug Jones
- Candace Bond-Theriault wrote “Yoga Should Address Social Justice, So I Want to Open My Own Studio” for Self
- Vanita Gupta wrote an opinion piece for Buzzfeed, “Trump’s Painfully Unqualified Judicial Nominee Was The Tip Of The Iceberg”
- Ai-Jen Poo and Saru Jayaraman walked the Golden Globes red carpet as part of the #TimesUp campaign addressing sexual abuse and harassment in Hollywood and other industries
- Opal Tometi, with Naomi Klein, wrote “Forget Coates Vs. West — We All Have A Duty To Confront The Full Reach Of U.S. Empire” for The Intercept
- Alicia Garza wrote “As The Floodgates Open, Don’t Forget About Our Cleaners, Nannies, And Carers” for Buzzfeed
- Berkeley, CA: General Service is looking for a Program Officer
- Houston, TX: Houston Rising is hiring a Campaign Director
- Bodega Bay, CA: Hidden Leaf is seeking an Executive Director
- Washington, DC: The Ballot Initiative Strategy Center has two positions open, Communications Director and Executive Director
- San Francisco, CA: Rainforest Action Network is hiring for several positions, including Digital Director
- Washington, DC: EarthRights International is seeking a Director of Strategic Impact and Campaigns